MOD 1 21st century learning and teaching





Part 1- Essential Question
When I first think about 21st century teaching and learning the first thing that comes to my mind is 2018 technology.  21st century teaching and learning also comes with a skill set.  21st century skills include interrogative questions, public speaking, teamwork, and innovation just to name a few. I will use my own personal experiences to answer the question what is 21st century teaching and learning to me. I would first like to introduce one of my favorite tools the smart board. The smart board is known as an interactive whiteboard that uses touch detection for the users input. It is comparable to a mouse if you were to be using a PC.  The first smart board was introduced in 1991. Since then they are a variety of smart boards that include different features. I use the smart board for my preschool student. They were at the age where they may watch a lot of tv so to them in was a learning television. Using this smart board I could draw alphabets numbers and so on and give them a great visual of how certain things should look. Instead of getting a plain white piece of paper and a yellow pencil you have a huge board with something that is used to write with that looks like a giant marker not your normal pencil and then you have different colors to use to express yourself throughout your learning. I also used the smart board in place of your average radio to play music to learn. I could pull up videos with children’s their ages singing and dancing and gave them the opportunity to join in and dance and sing as well. At this point my children are using exercise, creativity, and teamwork while learning. They are learning the information needed while having fun! 😊 21st century teaching includes educators being more active in the students learning. I way that I have witnessed an educator do this was having flexible and creative seating for the students. If they are sitting in bean bags, on large bouncy balls instead of desk could also make the students more eager to learn.  Also, group work is a great way for students to learn. You may have a student in the group who understands more than others and could help their classmate out. This is 21st century learning in my opinion and it is peer learning. 21st century learning and teaching does not always have to be the use of technology.

Part 2-Evernote Strategy
Evernote is a great note taking app and has really impacted my learning.  The Evernote app allows you to remember key content. The app also allows you to paraphrase.  This is a great way to organize your class notes without using a notebook. When using a notebook you could possible lose the books or pages throughout the class. I was really impressed with being able to have all of your notes all the time with just the click of a few button because the app is also available on your smart phone.  If you are someone who may not like to type and prefer writing your notes you could access the Evernote camera on your smart phone and snap a photo and it allows you to save the photo of your notes in Evernote. You could do the same thing for smartboard or normal dry erase boards. This app continues to get better if you are a slow note taker. Take advantage of the voice recording feature which allows you to record voices during anytime. Its your first day of class and you need to highlight key information on your syllabus this app allows to not only highlight, but add notes to PDF’s.  If you are like me and have a very busy schedule and would like to be reminded about assignments this app allows you to create a to do list as well.  This app was new to me and has impacted my learning tremendously I did a lot of research on the app and I plan on using this outside of this class as well.  I would use this app in an elementary school several ways. The first way I would  like to implement Evernote in an elementary school setting is by having the students hand write their work this being a rough draft take a photo of it and then make the needed adjustments using the classroom tablets. The second way I would like the students to use Evernote is at the beginning of class we would make our daily to do list for the day I would let the students go into the app and check off the things we complete as we go. We would also do our Math Fun Facts in Evernote If we are doing addition we would have our addition rule review in the app. I think this is also  a great way for the students to keep their vocabulary words.

Part 3- 21st century Tool Review
The tool I would like to Kahoot! Kahoot is a free game based learning platform for teachers! It allows you to create awesome games within minutes.  The games are called “kahoots” You can create multiple questions  The games are best played in a group setting. Players answer the questions on their own devices.  If you don’t want to create your own game you can browse through millions of games already on the app. TPACK triple venn includes three parts Technological Knowledge, Content Knowledge, and Pedagogical Knowledge.  Kahoot can be used with any content multiple choice, fill in the blank it always can be used for any grade level.  It can also be used with different teaching strategies. The modeling strategy is explaining to your students how to something then showing them . Another strategy could be used after students are familiar with the app is making a mistake on purpose to see if the students identify it.  A very important strategy is feedback letting the students know how well they are doing operating the tool.



Comments

  1. Sierra, Wow! Your post is awesome and so informative! I am so interested in trying the Kahoot App it sounds like it is really simple and fun. I wish that more teachers would try to make teaching and learning a little more fun and less rigid. I think that people always make more memorable experiences when they are having fun. I enjoyed using the Evernote software too! I am a very slow note taker so being able to take a quick photo really helped me a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts